An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Development Officer
Reports to: Senior Director, Development
Classification: Union Professional
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its
work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
With one in four families in the Bay Area struggling to make ends meet, the face of poverty might be closer than you think. It could be your co-worker, your neighbor, or your friend. Want to help us do something about it? UWBA seeks a talented and motivated fundraiser to join our outstanding team and support our mission: to be the catalyst that enables people to strengthen their communities by investing in one another. Do you have a history of building donor relationships? Are you passionate about community issues? Do you thrive in a fast-paced and highly visible role?
The Development Officer will cultivate, manage and grow an assigned portfolio of accounts, with a focus on corporate and employee engagement. This position will also steward and cultivate leadership level individual donors and prospects from within assigned accounts, and will identify new opportunities to raise funds year-round within and beyond those accounts.
The Development Officer will have the ability to work with a broad range of people, have strong fundraising skills, strong communication skills and the ability to interact with high level donors on an individual and group basis. This position will work closely with the Sr. Director of Development to develop and refine strategies for maximizing results and will collaborate with other team members within Development and across departments including the Finance, Marketing, and Community Impact Teams.
This is a professional exempt position reporting to the Senior Director of Development. It is a full time, regular, 37.5 hour per week position. There are two positions. One is located in our San Francisco office and the second is located in our Silicon Valley office (San Jose).
What you'll do:
- Develop strategy for each assigned workplace account and establish, in cooperation with management, measurable goals and objectives to meet organization goals.
- Manage appropriate training/resources, manage timelines, provide direct support, i.e., speaking engagements, event facilitation, etc. for each account.
- Manage on-going relationships with key leadership and donors in each of the assigned accounts.
- Conduct face to face visits with a portfolio of leadership donors and steward year-round.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new prospects and infiltrate accounts for additional new business opportunities outside of campaign season.
- Accurately forecast, monitor and prepare progress reports on all accounts and individual donor portfolio.
- Work closely with Marketing and Finance/Pledge Processing Teams to promote and set up appropriate technology tools to ensure results for all accounts are properly submitted and recorded.
- Provide high level, quality customer service by maintaining a positive and proactive relationship to all assigned workplace campaigns and individuals; maintain thorough communication logs in Salesforce.
- Manage volunteers, board members and organization stakeholders who will assist with the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospects.
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with account representatives, donors, and prospective donors to identify their philanthropic interests and enhance their knowledge and support of UWBA.
- Promote and/or collaborate with the Volunteer, Event and/or Affinity Group Teams to provide
targeted opportunities for individuals and corporate employee groups tto engage directly with UWBA programs and our mission.
Who you are:
- 3-5 years+ experience direct fundraising.
- Ability to multi-task and manage simultaneous tasks and customer relationships.
- Strong donor focus and understanding of how to effectively manage ongoing donor relationships.
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, ability to get job done.
- Team player, excels at working collaboratively – both listening and actively contributing - as well as independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking, and solid relationship management skills at all levels in organization.
- Strong computer skills including above average competency on Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Comfort and knowledge of Internet, experience with Salesforce desirable.
- Project management experience desirable.
- Other non-profit/philanthropic experience/demonstrated interest desirable.
- A California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
- Four year college degree or equivalent work experience required.
Salary: $51,000.00 - 57,000.00 Salary Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.