An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse Workforce
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Senior Director, Community Engagement
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Closing Date: Open until filled
The United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is leading a network of corporations, government agencies, nonprofits, and individuals to create lasting change for Bay Area residents and families. With a history that spans over 90 years and programs that tackle the issue of local poverty from every angle, UWBA is uniquely positioned to mobilize and motivate all sectors of the community toward the vision of ending the cycle of poverty.
As UWBA responds to cultural shifts in the workplace, fundraising, and digital communications, it is guided by core values of innovation and results-driven creativity. Through a variety of existing and emerging initiatives, UWBA seeks to both strengthen and reimagine its
work at all levels in order provide more and better opportunities for struggling Bay Area residents.
For more information about UWBA, please visit http://uwba.org.
The Senior Director of Community Engagement is responsible for innovating, leading and managing United Way Bay Area’s volunteer and events programs. These programs will align with the organization’s strategic vision to activate and empower individuals to join our fight in ending the cycle of poverty. Building relationships with both corporate and community volunteers, the senior director will ensure an efficient and effective volunteer base of support for the organization and provide strategic oversight for both program and fundraising events. The senior director will also interact with all functional areas of the organization and be accountable for developing strategies, operational plans, metrics and innovative initiatives to move our work forward in a substantial way. The senior director is responsible for managing a volunteer coordinator, an events manager and will be a leader within the development and marketing team.
What you’ll do:
- Develop a plan that advances UWBA’s strategies to increase engagement and deepen relationships with individuals, new target audiences, and affiliated organizations.
Leverage volunteerism to bring new supporters to our organization and to improve our relevancy with current supporters.
- Lead and manage collaborative volunteer partnerships (traditional and nontraditional, internal and external) by identifying, creating and promoting a continuum of volunteer engagement that aligns with UWBA poverty fighting mission.
- Recruit and connect volunteers to engagement opportunities that match their passion and interests. Work closely with Community Impact and other departments to ensure maximum volunteer utilization; creating
and inspiring innovative volunteer roles as appropriate.
- Manage volunteers through the Salesforce database, and evaluate and continuously improve the volunteer program using data and qualitative feedback from individual participants.
- Using an event production lens, ensure volunteers have a positive experience with United Way and utilize relationship building efforts to maximize retention.
- Work across the organization to identify ways to orient, recruit and recognize volunteers.
- Working with the volunteer coordinator, oversee the planning and implementation of multiple volunteer events with partners and affinity group
- Provide strategic oversight to UWBA’s events program that include both program-specific and fundraising/cultivation events.
- Maximize UWBA brand awareness and work with the marketing team on inspiring and effective messaging to increase participation and event attendance.
- Work with the events manager to provide a seamless and inspiring experience with timely and effective follow-up.
- Oversee event budgets and work closely with the finance team to ensure proper documentation, reporting, contracts, and legal requirements specific to event production.
- Oversee both internal and external event volunteers
- Responsible for day to day supervision of the volunteer coordinator and events manager.
- Oversee the management of consultants, interns, and volunteers assigned to the department.
Who you are:
- Understanding of and direct experience with volunteer program, relationship management, and events production.
- Proven ability to supervise volunteer and paid staff.
- Ability to analyze and exercise sound judgment, balancing a variety of perspectives to affect a positive outcome.
- Demonstrated skills in building smart strategies as well as analyzing data and trends around mobilization and engagement. Must be able to set and achieve goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal, written communications and public speaking skills. Ability to broker consensus across multiple parties. Training and facilitation skills desirable.
- Knowledge of the community.
- Must be innovative, flexible and able to work independently.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office with a willingness/aptitude for learning new software programs. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in complementary field and a commitment to community improvement·
- Minimum of 3 years’ management experience.
- Experience in community organizing and events production.
Successful experience working with leadership volunteers and senior staff.
- Personal volunteer experience
Salary: $75,000 – 90,000 Salaried/Exempt
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
UWBA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. UWBA will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
Please include salary requirements in cover letter.